Mom made this quite a few times. You really can’t taste the sauerkraut, but it makes the cake much more moist.
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 357
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 41g
Saturated Fat 25g
Trans Fat 1g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2g
Monounsaturated Fat 11g
Total Carbohydrates 124g
Dietary Fiber 4g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 ¼ cups sifted flour
- ½ cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup butter or margarine
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup water
- ⅔ cup sauerkraut, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 tbs butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 ¾ cups confectioners’ sugar
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla. Add dry ingredients alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in sauerkraut.
- Spread batter in greased 13x9x2 baking pan or two 2 9-inch round pans.
- Bake in 350° over 35 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Frosting: Melt chocolate and the butter together. Let cool and blend in the sour cream, vanilla, and salt. Gradually add the confectioner’s sugar until the frosting is of spreading consistency, beat well.
Bernell's Kitchen http://bernellskitchen.com/