Black Bottom Pie
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 156
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 18g
Saturated Fat 10g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 1g
Monounsaturated Fat 5g
Total Carbohydrates 33g
Dietary Fiber 1g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1¼ cups crushed gingersnaps
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) butter or margarine, melted
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Dash of salt
- 2 cups milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon rum flavoring
- ⅛ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- Mix gingersnap crumbs with melted butter or margarine in a small saucepan; press evenly over bottom and side of a 10-inch pie plate.
- Bake in a slow oven (300°) 5 minutes; chill.
- Soften gelatin in water in a cup; set aside for step 4.
- Mix ½ cup of the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium-size, heavy saucepan; stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until mixture thickens and boils 3 minutes. Beat egg yolks slightly in a small bowl; stir in a generous ½ cup of the hot cornstarch mixture, then stir back into the saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, just 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in softened gelatin until dissolved.
- Strain into a 4-cup measure, then spoon 1 cupful back into saucepan; blend in melted chocolate and vanilla. Pout into chilled crust; chill.
- Stir run flavoring into remaining custard; set measure in a pan of ice and water; chill, stirring often, at room temperature just until custard mounds slightly on a spoon.
- While custard chills, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy-white and double in volume in a large bowl; beat in remaining ½ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until meringue forms soft peaks. Set bowl in ice and water; fold in chilled custard until fluffy-thick; spoon over chocolate layer. Chill 2 hours, or until firm. Top with whipped cream. To decorate with chocolate, shave thin strips from square of semisweet chocolate with vegetable parer.
Bernell's Kitchen http://bernellskitchen.com/