This was on a mimeographed, handwritten sheet of unknown handwriting. I remember mom making this once, and it took all day long. At the bottom is written "Very Delicious"
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 2496
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 277g
Saturated Fat 104g
Trans Fat 19g
Polyunsaturated Fat 9g
Monounsaturated Fat 123g
Total Carbohydrates 5g
Dietary Fiber 2g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 5 pounds hamburger
- 4 tablespoons "curing salt"
- 2½ teaspoons liquid smoke
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2½ teaspoons coarse pepper (or peppercorn)
- 2½ teaspoons mustard seed
- Knead all ingredients together, put in covered bowl and refrigerate.
- Every day knead for 5 minutes, cover and return to refrigerator.
- On 4th day knead and form into 2 or 4 rolls as desired.
- Place on a rack on cookie sheet to catch drippings and bake for 9 hours at 160° (a broiler pan works nicely)
- Cool and slice when you please
- For summer sausage omit garlic
Bernell's Kitchen https://bernellskitchen.com/